Sunday, September 24, 2006

Updates!

It has been exactly 3 weeks since the last time I blogged!!! As usual, I've been busy with stuff that keeps on piling up, mainly HOMEWORK (I can't seem to get rid of it...urrgh!)!

Here are the updates of things that had been going on during these 3 weeks:

1. UTEP lost in the first football game that I went to :( it was 35 vs. 38...so close, man! they even played OT but they still lost! During intermission, the UTEP Band performed and did a formation! It was so cool!! Brings back old memories of the times I used to be in the MGS band...hehe! But their band is definitely da BOMB! The have so many members and they even had some performers doing some tricks while waving the flags on the field... I'm thinking of joining their band...we'll see!

2. I went for a Career Expo at the uni...it was so cool coz we had to dress up professionally and bring tonnes of resumes. (My career counselor told me to bring 20 copies but I wasn't so kiasu lar...i brought 15 copies...lolZ). Anyway, I gave away 9 copies of my resume to potential employers... It was so exciting, man! The rep. from major companies like General Motors, Applied Materials, etc conducted a short interview with us on the spot! My goal is to get an internship/co-op... basically good working experience!

3. Finally, I got a part-time job on campus!!!! woohoo! they're paying me quite well..the minimum wage here in the US is $5.15 per hour, but this job is offering me $6.75 per hour! If I convert to RM, it'll be RM24.98!!! lol! But, that's excluding the other tax that they'll deduct from my paycheck lar... But it's cool! I'm so glad that I got a JOB! I'm working for the Special Events Dept on campus. So basically, i can no longer watch those football matches liao...Instead, I'll be working! Oh the surprise is that since I'm working for special events rite, I'll also be working during the Rolling Stones Concert in Oct too! It's gonna be held in our uni's stadium. The cheapest ticket is $60 but I get to go for free, but of course, I'll be busy working most of the time lar!

4. I'll be going for Michael W. Smith's Concert on Oct 5 at the Plaza Theater. Since it's a Christian singer, our church youth committee is sponsoring the youth and they'll be paying for the tickets! So I save $32!! Yippie!

5. I joined the UTEP PRAXIS. They are funded by the Wesley Foundation and their task is to help students to find agencies to volunteer in and then, they'll inform our professors once we've completed our 20 hours of volunteer work. So I chose to volunteer for UTEP Women's Resource Center. And my first project was the Clothesline Program. We hung T-shirts with different colors representing various kinds of victim abuse. Majority of the T-shirts we hung were white ones and they represented the victims that died because of the abuse they suffered. It was so touching and yet so sad to read what the family members of the victims wrote and drew on the T-shirts. Most of them mentioned the names of the victims and one even had a name of a woman together with the words "unborn child", meaning two lives were brutally murdered during the abuse. Why do we live in such an abusive world?? And some of the victims were very young children...sigh... Anyway, last Wednesday, we had "Take Back the Night" Rally, in conjunction with the Clothesline Program. Some of the victims of abuse came and testified about their horrid experiences as well as to encourage all of us to stand up and report any abuse acts. Most of us cried when we heard how their husbands/boyfriends abused them...But they are courageous and brave women! Some managed to escape from the abusers and got help from the authorities. One particular lady even spoke about her sister being shot by her sister's husband and she regretted not doing anything before that to prevent her sister from being killed.

6. Okay lar...I think it's getting rather depressing, talking about abuse, death and all...I better stop now before I ruin your day! Besides, I still have my pile of homework staring at me right now, as I'm blogging!!! Guess I gotta get back to my never-ending homework!!!

Have a great week, peeps!!! Ciao!

Here are some pictures I took at the football game and some from the "Take Back the Night" Rally:











2 comments:

Ee Laine said...

Wow, the football match looks exactly like what you get in American movies.
Congrats on your part-time job.

sthyan said...

Yes indeed! I really enjoyed the game. Some people think that it's a violent sport, but I think it's exciting!!!

Thanks! I really needed this job to keep me occupied as well as to earn some extra pocket money..hehe!